9 Awesome Cleaning Hacks Guaranteed to Make Your Home Sparkle
Do you know someone who has cleaning hacks for every corner of their home? I do. And their home seems to sparkle and shine no matter what day of the week? Over the years I've experimented with different cleaning products, hacks and storage options only to find myself frustrated when I didn’t get the same fabulous results in my own home. You see my home is more than 50 years old. It was built in 1948 and was part of a plan to provide housing for returning GIs from World War II. Let me tell you, older homes are LOT harder to shine up than newer ones.
But the real reason why I struggled was because I didn’t realize that having a home that sparkles, regardless of its age, is actually a carefully executed, 2-step process of:
1) Creating order and
2) Matching the right household cleaning hack to the job to maintain the order you've spent all that time creating
The first phase of creating order involves identifying and setting up systems that mesh with your organizational style in all the places behind the doors. This extends from the entryway closet, to the kitchen pantry and bathroom linen closet , and all the other spaces in between. Even cleaning experts agree that a tidy home reduces stress. If you completed the Whole House Organization Challenge with me this year congratulations! No doubt you already see a huge improvement in your home’s operation and appearance.
Problem is, many people stop after phase one. But the second phase of actually cleaning your house - is equally important. In case you missed it, the operative phrase here is not just organizing, but “cleaning your house”. This involves more than just removing dust or wiping down your shower doors. We’re talking about detailed cleaning. Yes, details are what create a beautiful home. Unfortunately though, the details are often where a lot of the dirt gets trapped.
Affiliate links may be included in this post. This means that should you purchase a linked product, I may receive a small commission, but at no additional cost to you. To read my full disclosure click here.
My Awesome 9 Cleaning Hacks for a Home that Sparkles
To execute the detailed cleaning phase effectively, you’ll need the right tools; the right cleaning solution for your problem areas. The best part is that all of the cleaning hacks I’m about to share with you are affordable and can be found at your local grocer or on Amazon. Here are my top 9 deep home cleaning hacks.
One often missed area that is sure to dull your home’s sparkle are those stubborn water spots on faucets and faucet handles. I learned this cleaning hack a few years ago when I became fed up with the ugly water spots left on my bathroom faucet even after cleaning it. The fix is a simple one. Just take a freshly cut lemon wedge and rub it all over your faucets, shower heads and handles. Allow the solution to set for about 15 to 20 minutes then wipe clean with a damp cloth. Scrubbing is optional. This will keep your kitchen and bath fixtures sparkling for weeks!
Afterwards, use the remaining lemon and rind to clean and absorb any unpleasant odors coming from your garbage disposal. Or, place it in the plastic bag of your regular trash can to get ahead of bad smells.
2. Barkeepers FriendThis powdered cleaning agent is an old classic that may already be familiar to many of you. Barkeeper’s Friend brings to life all of my furniture hardware, stainless steel sinks and toilets. The gritty substance makes it easy to loosen and lift dirt wedged deep inside surfaces. Just apply, scrub and rinse with hot water. Notice how it removed and brightened the drawer pull below.
3. Apple Cider or White Vinegar SolutionCalcified hard water stains are, in my opinion, the ugliest things you can find in a home. Those brown manganese stains just scream DIRTY! - while freaking out everyone who sees them at the same time. If like me you live in a semi-rural or unincorporated city with hard water, this deep cleaning hack just might work. Mix a solution of water and vinegar (1:1 ratio) in a spray bottle. Spray down affected fixtures and let set for 15-20 minutes. This vinegar solution is also a great microwave oven cleaning hack. Warm a 1/4 cup of the solution in the microwave for 1 minute and voila! You can wipe the inside clean with ease.
- 1 cup of cream of tartare mixed with
- 1/4 of hydrogen peroxide.
- Lather the paste on the affected area. Allow it to set for 15 to 20 minutes. And scrub clean.
Have you ever guided a guest to a seat in your home only to discover a mysterious, unidentifiable stain on the upholstery? “Eeww!”, squeals the visitor. (#AwkwardAndEmbarrassingMoment) Zep Carpet & Upholstery cleaner was actually introduced to me by my husband. Sometime ago I thrifted a pair of chairs that I wound up using in my last One Room Challenge makeover. The chairs were in excellent condition. But there were stains which I unfortunately missed when I purchased them. Enter Zep upholstery cleaner.
Y’all this stuff is LEGIT! I have never used an easier more affective upholstery cleaner. EV-ah. Unfortunately I don’t have before and after photos so you’ll have to take my word for it
5. Scrub & Toothbrushes
6. Microfiber Cloths
7. Lint Rollers.
8. Goo GoneDuring a recent conversation with a friend I mentioned Goo Gone. Her face seemed to cave into itself while she asked “What the heck is Goo Gone?” Goo Gone is a miracle degreaser that I use to remove sticky residues, sales price stickers, city stickers from windows and license plates, and anything else icky and gooey. Some people use rubbing alcohol or WD-40 in the same way. But the first item doesn't work for me. And I absolutely detest the kerosene-like scent of the second one. Goo Gone is affordable, practical, and virtually scent free. For me it’s the only solution for sticky gooey messes.
9. CaulkNow I know you’re thinking caulk is not a cleaning hack. But I’m here to tell ya, paintable caulk is a home owner’s personal miracle worker! The proof is in the pictures below. Notice that huge gap between the wall moulding and the wallpaper in the first photo to the left. Now check out the photo on the right. A simple bead of caulk and about 30 seconds was all it took to get these results.
Our homes are constantly shifting, creating gaps in moldings and baseboards all around. Hack that problem to pieces with caulk. It will freshen the look of your entire home in an instant.
The moral of this post is that using the right detailed cleaning tools will not only make your home sparkle, but it will actually make a lot less work for you in the long run. Wanna be a lazy sloth all weekend? Putting your home on the market to sell soon? Got some unexpected guests stopping by? No problem! Try these simple hacks and let the results sparkle for themselves- guaranteed.