Week Three, Task 2: Using the Space Above the Cabinets + A Giveaway
Whole House Organization Challenge, Week 3
We're in the final stretch of the kitchen portion of this organization series for the 2017 WHO Challenge. I hope you're all having small victories along the way!
Today's task centers on a little slither of space that's like prime real estate for someone with a small kitchen: the space above the kitchen cabinets.
Some homeowners finish this area of the kitchen by boxing in the awkward space with plywood, and beefy crown molding that is stained, or painted to match the existing cabinets. Others install glass front custom cabinets. BOTH ideas are nothing short of stunning.
Affiliate links may be included in this post. This means that should you purchase a linked product, I may receive a small commission, but at no additional cost to you. To read my full disclosure click here.
But those of us with small kitchens often have budgets to match. So what's the work-around?
The alternative -and affordable- solution is to use storage boxes (or baskets) in the spaces above the cabinets. Since these will be out on display they should be:
- Easy to clean of dust and grease
- Lidded to keep dust off the contents (I'll take cleaning a lid, over a bunch of single items any day)
- Measured carefully for an easy fit (here's a handy worksheet to record the measurements)
- Stylish (of course)
What to Store Above Your Kitchen Cabinets
I know you're thinking, what on earth would I store waaay up there? Here are a few ideas:
- Seldom used items
- Overflow of food pantry items
- Small appliances
- Carry out containers for dinner guests.
So instead of allowing these items to clutter up your cabinets, why not give them a space of their own. Let me show you how it works. Below is a photo of one area of my kitchen. Check out the espresso colored boxes on the cabinet over my fridge.
How to Stylishly Store Items Above Kitchen Cabinets
I found these great BLADIS storage boxes at IKEA for only $6.99/each. I use a total of four in all. One box is used for overflow pasta that won't fit into my tiny pantry. The other is used to store a clunky blender and a hand mixer. I still can't believe both of these appliances fit inside!
- This forgotten area of the kitchen may be a bit grimy. I find that Orange Glo multi-purpose cleaner, or blue Dawn works best to remove the film of dust.
- Once you've scrubbed the area clean, take a sheet of wax paper, cut it to size, and place in on the tops of the cabinets. This way, when dust and grime collect here, you can just change out the paper.
In the remaining two boxes I store spices that my husband REFUSES to giveaway or discard. So I've decided to keep them there until he comes around. (Hey marriage is all about compromise right?)
The final box is my favorite to show. In it, I keep to-go bags and containers for guest who dine at my home.
So instead of giving guests my storage containers, I give them their own. The Dollar Tree sells these for just - well- a dollar for a pack of three. You should see the looks on their faces when I hand it to them. Hilarious!
I also love these specialty bags which I found at Michaels. They're made with a coloring book pattern. Perfect for any children that might visit with their parents.
Now let's get to the good part. To show my gratitude for the support that I've been receiving for the start of the Whole House Organization (WHO) Challenge, I've decided to give a little something back. So I'm hosting my very first giveaway!
THIS GIVEAWAY HAS NOW ENDED
The gift package will include:
- 1 Bamboo flatware organizer (12"W x 17.5"D x 1.25"H)
- 1 Pair of T-Fal kitchen drying towels
- 1 Jewelry bowl (a place to hold rings when doing the dishes)
- 6 Take-home bags for your dinner guests
- 6 Betty Crocker to-go containers for your dinner guests
- 29 Chalkboard labels (to help you organize your pantry)
There's one more very important requirement: You must be subscribed to this blog to qualify. To join the mailing list click here.
So there you have it! There's just one more space left - the fridge. Please let me know in the comments below are you excited about this giveaway?